Table of contents:
Ask anyone you meet on the street the question "What is a dossier?". "This is a folder in which all the collected information about a person is stored, or just a person's documents are stored," the majority will say. But is this the correct answer? What is a dossier and what is the origin of this word?
Meaning of the word
"Dossier" is a word of French origin (dossier - "case"). It is a neuter noun, inanimate, indeclinable. Refers to special vocabulary. In Russian, it has two meanings:
- set of documents and materials related to any case or person;
- folder with all collected materials.
The most frequently used expressions with this word, as well as examples of its use are as follows:
- he put together a complete dossier on every member of this out-of-state group, and his information was quite complete;
- dossier on someone;
- dossier is a very useful tool for collecting, storing and organizing anyinformation.
As already mentioned, a dossier is a folder containing documents and information collected about a case or a person. However, it can be of several types, for example:
- On any person. Contains all the information about him, his biography, habits, circle of friends, professional activities and professional connections, as well as many other facts.
- At a competitor. It is often maintained at enterprises and contains data about the competitor's company itself, its plans, opportunities, completed transactions, etc.
- A credit file is all the information collected about a person in terms of his relationship with the bank, information about his loans, debts on them and other details important for the bank and its employees.
These are just a few of the most common. In fact, there are many more of them. Some of them are found in several areas at once, and some are specific.